Sign up now to receive audition announcement emails
An email newsletter will be sent to you periodically when auditions for live shows on the Garden Theatre season are announced.
Garden Theatre Announces Auditions for the First Three Shows of the 2017-2018 Season
Garden Theatre is pleased to announce auditions for the first three shows of the 2017-2018 Theatrical Season to be presented at the Garden Theatre located at 160 West Plant Street in Winter Garden. These shows include Jesus Christ Superstar, The Odd Couple (both the male and female versions), and Annie. Audition times and requirements are as listed below. The 2017 – 2018 Season Sponsor is Evoyent, a Deloitte Network Company.
Please note that AEA and non-Equity performers will be seen for all shows. We are looking for a very diverse range of ethnicity in our actors. All roles are paid.
The remainder of the season includes The Lieutenant of Inishmore (produced by Beth Marshall Presents), A Tennessee Walk, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Auditions for A Tennessee Walk, and Hunchback will be held in September. Please visit BethMarshallPresents.com for information on auditions for The Lieutenant of Inishmore. Beth Marshall Presents’ full season will be announced in April, and persons interested in auditioning may sign up beginning May 1, 2017 through BMP’s website for the late-June season auditions.
ANNIE and THE ODD COUPLE CALLBACKS – BY INVITATION ONLY
- Callbacks for Annie are Sunday, June 4 from 3-9pm and Monday, June 5 from 7:30-11pm.
- Callbacks for The Odd Couple will be held on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 7pm.
About Jesus Christ Superstar – Musical – Directed by Rob Winn Anderson
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber | Lyrics by Tim Rice
Rehearsals: August 7 – September 7, 2017 / Performances: September 8 – October 1, 2017
This stirring rock opera from the perspective of Judas Iscariot follows Jesus Christ during his last seven days on Earth. With material borrowed from the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, this musical follows the meteoric rise of Jesus’ popularity, the devotion and doubts of his disciples, and the radical response by the church priests. Jesus Christ Superstar was the first of the Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice tradition of recording an album first and then creating a musical from it. Composer Webber won the Drama Desk Award for Most Promising Composer in 1972 and Jesus Christ Superstar was also Tony-nominated for Best Original Score.
About The Odd Couple – Comedy
By Neil Simon
Rehearsals: September 18 – October 12, 2017 / Performances: October 13 – October 29, 2017
This classic comedy discovers what happens when persons of opposite personalities and lifestyles become unlikely roommates. Prolific American playwright Neil Simon brought slovenly Oscar Madison and fastidious Felix Ungar to the stage in 1965, and won the Tony for Best Author of a Play. The Odd Couple went on to become a film and a successful television series. In 1985, Simon revised the play for a female cast in a contemporary setting, in which Olive Madison and Florence Ungar become the mismatched roommates after a marital separation. From a male or female perspective, hilarity results when the worlds of these endearing characters collide! The show will be performed in rep with both male and female versions playing each weekend.
About Annie – Musical
Book by Thomas Meehan | Music by Charles Strouse | Lyrics by Martin Charnin
Rehearsals: October 23 – November 24, 2017 / Performances: November 25 – December 23, 2017
Hoping for a life outside her dreary orphanage, little orphan Annie charms her way into the heart of a New York millionaire during the Depression. The only person standing in the way of Annie’s dream is the scheming, gin-soaked matron of the orphanage, Miss Hannigan. One of the world’s best-loved Broadway musicals comes to life with a rousing score including “It’s the Hard-Knock Life,” “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile,” “Easy Street,” “I Don’t Need Anything But You” and the eternal anthem of optimism, “Tomorrow.”
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR – Cast of 22 – 16 men / 6 women
- Jesus: This text is interested in Jesus as Messiah and man both, and not only his spiritual ministry, but also his personal experience and political role in the world. So we’re looking for a kickass singer with something going on in mind and soul. Male, Mid 20s-30s. Range: Tenor (A2 – G5) – strong rock falsetto.
- Judas Iscariot: Concerned for the poor and for the consequences of Jesus’ fame. A tragic figure, a conflicted man, and a powerfully passionate guy. Most certainly not a bad guy – he is as desirous of being pure as Jesus is, and believes he is doing the right thing. Male, Mid 20s-30s. Range: Tenor (D3-D5) – strong rock falsetto
- Mary Magdelene: A female follower of Jesus who finds herself falling in love with him. She’s a prostitute and she tries, in her way to care for Jesus, so there is tenderness and desire, but this is a woman of great strength. Female, 20s-30s. Range: Alto (F3-Eflat5)
- Pontius Pilate: Governor of Judea who foresees the events of Jesus’ crucifixion from beginning to aftermath in a dream and finds himself being presented with that very situation. One of the most complex characters in the play, a man of his time and a leader capable of great brutality, yet also a man of great conscience. Male, 30s-40s. Range: Baritone (A2-B4)
- Caiaphas: High priest of the Pharisees; at the top of a crumbling system and violently resistant to conceding his place; cold, severe, strategic. Male, Late 20s-50s. Range: Bass (C2-F4)
- Annas: Fellow priest at the side of Caiaphas who is persuaded by Caiaphas that Jesus is a threat. Male, 20s-40s. Range: Tenor (G2-D5)
- Simon Zealotes / Ensemble: One of Jesus’ 12 Apostles; urges Jesus to lead his followers into battle against the Romans. Male, 20s-40s. Range: Tenor (G3–B4)
- Peter / Ensemble: One of Jesus’ 12 Apostles; denies Jesus three times on the night of Jesus’ arrest in order to save himself. Male, 20s-40s. Range: Baritone (G2-G4)
- King Herod / Ensemble: The King of Galilee responsible for determining the fate of its Jewish captives; corrupt, condescending, decadent, charming with a sneer. Good mover. Male, 30s-50s. Baritone.
- Maid by the Fire / Ensemble: Female, 20s-40s. Strong singer at home in strong, rock styling.
- (5) Apostles / Ensemble: Male, 20s-40s. Strong singers at home in strong, rock styling.
- (3) Apostles / Ensemble / Strong movers/dancers: Male, 20s-40s. Strong singers/movers at home in strong, rock styling.
- (4) Female Dancers / Ensemble: 20s-40s. Strong dancers who sing well.
THE ODD COUPLE – Cast of 10
NOTE: The roles of Oscar Madison, Felix Ungar, Florence Ungar, and Olive Madison are already cast.
Roles noted with an ** will be in both the male and female versions of the play. Two (2) will be in the male version only. Two (2) women will be in the female version only.
- **Gwendolyn Pigeon / Sylvie: Female, 30s. Attractive. Undoubtedly British / High strung smoker.
- **Cecily Pigeon / Renee: Female, 30s. Attractive. Undoubtedly British / Very plain-spoken.
- **Manolo Costazuela / Speed: Male, 30s-40s. Castilian suitor / High strung cigar smoker.
- **Jesus Costazuela / Roy: Male, 30s-40s. Castilian suitor / Very plain-spoken.
- Vinnie: Male, 30s-40s. Not so bright. A bit hen-pecked.
- Murray: Male, 30s-40s. A cop.
- Vera: Female, 30s-40s. Not so bright.
- Mickey: Female, 30s-40s. A cop.
ANNIE – Cast of 24
- Miss Hannigan: Miss Hannigan is a definite “has-been.” Her distaste for her job should ooze from every line she delivers. Female, 35-60. Range: (G3-D5)
- Daddy Warbucks: Oliver Warbucks is the daunting millionaire who made his fortune during World War I as an industrialist. In the beginning, Warbucks is awkwardly affectionate toward Annie and then finds himself completely charmed by her. Male, 40-65.Range: (A3-D5)
- Annie: A complex, tough, streetwise urchin who is surprisingly vulnerable when she thinks she might lose what has become most important to her: her newfound “family.” Range: (A3-D5)
- Rooster Hannigan: Rooster Hannigan and Lily St. Regis are the comic team who claim to be Annie’s parents but are revealed to be Miss Hannigan’s swindling brother and his sleazy girlfriend in disguise. Male, 30s. Range: (G3-Bflat4)
- Lily St. Regis: Rooster Hannigan and Lily St. Regis are the comic team who claim to be Annie’s parents but are revealed to be Miss Hannigan’s swindling brother and his sleazy girlfriend in disguise. Female, 25-35. Range: (Bflat3-Bflat4)
- Grace Farrell: Grace Farrell is Oliver Warbucks’s calm, cool and classy secretary. She appears businesslike when dealing with Miss Hannigan and Warbucks, yet maternal toward Annie. Female, 25-35. Range: (D4-C5)
- Bert Healey / Ensemble: Classic radio show announcer of the era. Male, 30-55
- Lewis Howe / Ensemble: Roosevelt’s trusty aide. Male, 25-60
- Drake / Ensemble: Loyal domestic servant. Male 40-50
- Greer / Ensemble: Housekeeper.
- Cecile / Ensemble: Loyal domestic servant.
- McCraken / Morganthau / ADC: Male or female, 25-60
- Connie / Star to Be/ Ensemble: Star-To-Be is a glamorous diva in the number “N.Y.C.” Female, 18-25. Range: (Aflat3-D5)
- Franklin Roosevelt / Lt. Ward: The President of the United States. Male, 40-65
- Pugh / Ensemble: Cook.
- (1) Female Ensemble
- (2) Male Ensemble
- Kate: Gritty girl that is neglected and vulnerable, yet basically honest and lovable. The next-to-the-youngest orphan. Needs to be able to play 7 yrs old. Range: (C4-C5)
- Molly: Gritty girl that is neglected and vulnerable, yet basically honest and lovable. The youngest orphan. Needs to be able to play 6 yrs old. Range: (A3-B4)
- Tessie: Gritty girl that is neglected and vulnerable, yet basically honest and lovable. A 11 yr. old cry baby. Range: (A3-C5)
- July: Gritty girl that is neglected and vulnerable, yet basically honest and lovable. The quietest at age 13. Range: (C4-D5)
- Duffy: Gritty girl that is neglected and vulnerable, yet basically honest and lovable. The oldest at age 13. Range: (C4-D5)
- Pepper: Gritty girl that is neglected and vulnerable, yet basically honest and lovable. The toughest at age 12. Range: (C4-Bflat4)
Sign Up for Auditions