Reports primarily to: Artistic Director
Reports on certain duties to: Executive Director
Supervises: Production Department team members
Every employee of Garden Theatre is expected, with no exception, to behave, communicate, and present themselves in a positive, professional, and respectful manner toward customers, vendors, partners, and fellow team members at all times.
The Production Manager has primary responsibility for the scheduling, budgeting, contracting and execution of all aspects of physical production, including scenery, lights, costumes, props, paint, sound, and projections for all productions, workshops, readings and events.
The Production Manager will:
- Be ultimately responsible for ensuring that all aspects of each production and event are completed on-time, on-target and on budget. He or she will oversee the show quality, process efficiency, and cost-effectiveness of the entire production process.
- Oversee all aspects of production inclusive of budgets, production meetings, production schedules, designers and crew positions.
- Manage all aspects of the production process, including scheduling and facilitating meetings, interfacing with contracted labor, purchasing, vendor relations, tracking expenses, communicating and implementing production plans, ensuring the Garden Theatre’s policies and procedures are followed and updated documentation is kept throughout the production process.
- Develop and maintain a master schedule including all shows, events, rentals and other activities taking place in the Garden Theatre’s facilities.
- Develop and maintain all production budgets, ensuring accurate and timely reporting to Artistic Director and Executive Director.
- Facilitate communication between directors, designers, stage managers, contracted employees, and Garden Theatre staff.
- Based on recommendations by the Artistic Director, engage, contract, and arrange payments for directors, designers, stage managers, technicians, and other members of each production team.
- Continuously monitor the progress and performance of each area of production to ensure all deliverables are completed on time.
- Work with the Artistic Director to create an annual calendar with audition dates, rehearsal dates, performance dates, production deadlines and schedules.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to ensure accurate budget reporting.
- Work closely with Stage Managers and Directors to make any necessary adjustments to the current production plan and schedules.
- Work with Event Manager to approve, schedule and facilitate any rentals or special events.
- Maintain the facilities operated by the theatre in a clean, organized, and safe fashion.
- Work closely with the Technical Director to ensure all fire and other safety issues and safety equipment are maintained in accordance with laws, regulations, and codes.
- Carry out any other duties as requested by the Artistic Director or Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or professional equivalent (required);
- Master’s Degree in relevant field (preferred);
- 3-5 years of experience as a Production Manager;
- Thorough knowledge of all areas of theatrical productions, particularly technical design and technology;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and work within approved budget;
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Applications;
- Ability to read, interpret, and modify, when necessary, various technical drawings, plots, and plans required to realize scenic, sound, and lighting designs;
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gather/analyze information skillfully;
- Ability to work well in group problem-solving situations;
- Ability to work under pressure on many projects and work with people of varying experience levels;
- Strong verbal and written communication, diplomatic and leadership skills.
- Experience in not-for-profit theatre (preferred);
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Production Manager position